We’re #4 in 2015! Thanks to our readers who made it possible!
“The most complete special needs ministry resource I’ve ever come across.”
- RT @wvanderbloemen: Looking to start a special needs ministry at your church? This can be a good starting place: bit.ly/2o8GDd3 4 hours ago
- RT @SandraPeoples: I'm at @TheMOBSociety today, sharing my favorite thing about this stage of motherhood themobsociety.com/blog/2017/04/2… #mobsociet… 19 hours ago
- RT @SNAPPIN_MIN: Do you struggle to see God when things aren't going your way? ow.ly/r3J130bdcUW via @MikeDobes #specialneeds #parent… 1 day ago
- RT @SandraPeoples: 426 special-needs parents (representing 7 different countries) in our online Bible study! Still time to join us! https:/… 1 day ago
- How could a church start reaching special-needs families if they realize they have been ignoring or repelling them… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
Honored to be in Sharecare Now’s Top Ten online influencers in children’s mental health!
Category Archives: Depression
An argument can be made that it’s very important to get the entire family to church if any member of that family is affected by depression. So, what can the local church or individuals from the local church do to help mom (or dad) and the entire family? Continue reading
Is the stigma against treatment of mental illness generally, and treatment of ADHD specifically a contributing factor to the difference in rates of completed suicide among African-American children and other ethnic groups? Continue reading
Pain and grief were emotions created by God, you should not feel guilty for feeling them. Being depressed does not mean you no longer love Jesus or that Jesus no longer loves you. Continue reading
Couples fighting mental illness often ask us what they can/should do when one spouse is depressed. Continue reading
Allowing myself to thaw, I find, takes way more guts than staying frozen. Frozen means no emotion. Frozen means lost days and weeks. Frozen means standing still, not thinking about others or myself. But now, the more I know, the more I work the program, the more I heal, the more I thaw. I drip emotion. I realize the toll my problems take on people around me that I love. And it hurts. Continue reading
Don’t judge or assume that if your friend can’t ‘pull her life together’ then she just isn’t trying hard enough. Depression isn’t laziness or a lack of faith. It is a disease that requires treatment and care. Continue reading
I may not be the best mom. I may not even get back to being the average mother I once claimed to be. But I’m here. I’m getting back up. I’m not leaving. And I’m the mom God ordained for these four souls, and therefore I am their best mom.
What the statistics don’t tell us is WHY we’re seeing such a significant increase in the rates of suicide among children, teens and young adults, along with sizable increases in suicide rates among adults of middle age, especially women. What might be causing the increase? I’d like to put forth a few “educated guesses.”
How can we make sense of the “joy of the Lord” in the context of depression? Continue reading
God intimately knows the days I can’t function. Regardless if they are lost to me, they are not lost to him. He is not unaware of my numbed mind and aching limbs crawling towards the next minute. No, he is right there with me. He is sovereign. He is the one providing the next patch of light in my life. Even if his purpose escapes me, purpose exists nonetheless. Continue reading